AGU’s education programs capitalize on the intrinsic allure of the Earth and space sciences, and their fundamental relevance to daily life. Through education- and career-focused events at annual AGU meetings, professional development workshops for teachers, special programs for pre-college and post-secondary students, awards for science educators, and printed and electronic resources, AGU offers an array of opportunities that expose students, teachers, and life-long learners to the freshest, most accurate scientific knowledge and the excitement of discovery.
Education and outreach play a significant role in AGU’s mission. One of its major strategic goals is developing and nurturing the next generation of Earth and space scientists. Each of the following goals, along with specific strategies will help AGU meet its goal related to workforce or “talent pool” development. Particular emphasis is being placed on building partnerships and collaborations that will increase the effectiveness of AGU’s outreach efforts related to education.
- Strengthen professional development of K-12 teachers of Earth and space science.
- Contribute to strengthening Earth and Space sciences departments and undergraduate teaching at the college and university level.
- Provide opportunities for interested AGU members to participate in outreach activities and programs.
- Support national STEM education initiatives (along with AGU Public Affairs).
- Strengthen the numbers and diversity of the Earth and space science workforce
Read more about our activities in this Eos article.