Teachers, you may now register to attend the 2014 GIFT workshop! In order to register for the Fall Meeting and GIFT workshop at no cost as an educator:
- Go to the AGU Fall Meeting 2014 registration page
- Enter your AGU member information, or create a new account and profile if you are not a member. Note: You do not have to join AGU to register for the meeting for free as an educator. The account you create as a non-member is for Fall Meeting registration and information only.
- Select Register and/or Book a Hotel Reservation.
- Select your Registration Type as K-12 Teacher/Informal Educator, either for the full meeting or for one day only, and proceed to the next page.
- Select your “teacher type”, and upload a document of your teacher credentials, e.g. a scanned image of your school I.D. or a letter from your principal confirming your status as an educator. Where asked if you would like to register for the GIFT workshop, select “yes” and proceed.
- You should see a message notifying you that your registration is pending. Once your credentials are approved you will receive an email confirming that you are registered for the Fall Meeting and GIFT workshop.
If you are having problems registering for GIFT as an educator, email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Dr. Michael Wysession, a writing team leader for the Next Generation Science Standards, shares his knowledge and enthusiasm with educators at the 2013 GIFT workshop.
Geophysical Information for Teachers (GIFT) Workshops allow science teachers to hear about the latest geoscience research from the scientists making the discoveries, explore new classroom resources for their students, and visit exhibits and technical sessions of the AGU meeting for free. AGU collaborates with the National Earth Science Teachers’ Association (NESTA) to run GIFT workshops at Fall Meeting. The materials from GIFT 2013 are now available. These include presentations, classroom activities, and other resources. New LEARN videos, which depict the hands-on activities from the workshop, are also available.
PAST GIFT WORKSHOP PROGRAMS
2013 AGU GIFT Workshop Presentations
- Climate Change, Sea Level Rise, and Ocean Acidification, by Dr. Barbara Bruno
- Estimating How Often Mass Extinctions Due to Impacts Occur on the Earth, by Dr. Bonnie Buratti
- Exploring Seafloor Sediments Using Real Data, by Drs Lawrence Krissek, Kristen St. John, Megan Jones, Kate Pound, and R. Mark Leckie
- Polar Science and Engineering: A Model for NGSS Practices, by Linda Morris, Dr. T J Fudge and Kristina Slawny
- Inspiring Future Scientists in Middle-Schools Through Synergy Between Classroom Learning and Water Cycle Research, by Emily Kellagher and Dr. David Noone
- The Next General Science Standards – Opportunities for Earth and Space Science Educators, by Dr. Michael Wysession