Since 1997, this forum has discussed important issues common to geophysical science departments, including research funding, program assessment, modernization of post-secondary curricula, increasing faculty diversity, and student career planning. It also holds annual workshops immediately prior to the AGU Fall Meeting and offers webinars throughout the year. This group meets jointly on a biennial basis with the Heads and Chairs of Atmospheric Sciences departments.
Mentoring is key to the success of students and early career professionals. See a Manual for Mentors and Mentees from the Institute for Broadening Participation and Entering Mentoring from The Wisconsin Program for Scientific Teaching.
Education Special Interest Group
ESIG is open to all AGU members who are interested in issues dealing with K-12, undergraduate, and graduate education as well as STEM education and outreach. The members receive monthly news updates about Fall meeting events, student opportunities, outreach activities, and national initiatives from AGU Education staff. Click here to join the ESIG listserv.
Sections & Focus Groups Education and Public Outreach
Many sections have committees or working groups that coordinate the education and public outreach activities for them. Learn more about their roles, activities, and officers below.
Space Physics and Aeronomy
The Education and Public Outreach committee (E/PO) of the AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) section is comprised of AGU research scientists and science educators who are dedicated to promoting science education at all levels both nationally and internationally, and providing information about AGU science to public audiences.
The SPA – EPO committee has three goals:
- To promote and share information about E/PO events and best practices in the field.
- To provide support for AGU scientists interested in becoming involved in E/PO activities.
- To participate and support AGU wide education and outreach events from the SPA section.
Planetary Science Education Working Group
The Education and Public Outreach committee (E/PO) of the AGU Planetary Sciences section is comprised of AGU research scientists and science educators who are dedicated to promoting planetary science education at all levels both nationally and internationally, and providing information about AGU science to public audiences.
The Planetary E/PO committee has four goals:
- To promote and support professional development of early career scientists and students in planetary sciences
- To develop a network of planetary science educators that share information about E/PO events, opportunities and best practices in the field
- To provide support for AGU scientists interested in becoming involved in E/PO activities
- To participate and support AGU-wide education and outreach events from the Planetary Sciences section
Volcanology, Geochemistry, Petrology
The Volcanology, Geochemistry, and Petrology (VGP) Education and Outreach Committee is dedicated to achieving improved accessibility to educational resources related to the understanding our planet, with particular emphasis on volcanology and chemistry of the Earth. We strive to provide VGP membership with direct links to the educational community at all levels with the goal of broadening the impacts of this exciting body of research. We facilitate development of a wide variety of tools and media for enhanced understanding of volcanoes, their essential role in shaping our oceans and atmosphere, and for bettering understanding of their hazards.