The Lloyd V. Berkner Travel Fellowship serves as a memorial to former AGU President Lloyd V. Berkner, who had a special interest in assisting and working with students and international colleagues. Today, the program provides support to Earth and space scientists in 88 countries including India, Morocco, and Nigeria. Berkner Fellowships provide funding for early career scientists and students to present research at AGU-sponsored or co-sponsored meetings. The support includes registration fee, travel, accommodation, and daily expenses during the meeting. View the application process.
Applications Open: 12 June 2019
Application Deadline: 7 August 2019
Recipients Announced: Early September
- Eligibility for Berkner Fellowships is limited to AGU members under the age of 35 who are citizens of countries designated by the World Bank as “low” or “lower-middle” income per capita. Applicants must also currently reside in a World Bank “low” or “lower-middle” income per capita nation (does not need to be the same as citizenship).
- To see a full listing of Berkner eligible countries, please click here.
- Successfully-submitted abstract prior to filling out travel grant application. Your abstract reference number will be required on the application.
- First author presenting a paper/poster at Fall Meeting.
- AGU membership is required to submit the application. If you are not an AGU member, you should contact [email protected] and inquire about membership options.
- Applicants may not be already studying in the U.S.
Applications will be scored/judged on the following criteria:
- Does the applicant have sufficient resources to fund expenses (meals, local travel, and incidentals)) while at the meeting. Winners will be reimbursed after the meeting for these costs.
- Does the applicant have a clear understanding of how he/she will make the most out of his/her Fall Meeting experience.
- Scientific merit of applicant’s Fall Meeting abstract.
- Applicants who identify as women, have never traveled to the United States, or are in the final year of their degree program will be scored higher than other applicants.
- Applications must be complete to be considered and submitted before the deadline.
- Recipients must provide proof that they have applied for their travel visa and any transit visas before they are able to accept the offer of the fellowship. Note: this may mean that you must be in your home country for the visa interview process.
Click the application button at the upper right of this webpage to start or edit your application.
Contact [email protected] for customer service.