The Lloyd V. Berkner Travel Fellowship serves as a memorial to former AGU President Lloyd V. Berkner, who had a special interest in assisting and working with students and international colleagues. Today, the program provides support to Earth and space scientists in 88 countries including India, Morocco, and Nigeria. Berkner Fellowships provide funding for early career scientists and students to present research at AGU-sponsored or co-sponsored meetings. The support includes registration fee, travel, accommodation, and daily expenses during the meeting.
Applications Open: 14 June 2017
Application Deadline: 9 August 2017 11:59 P.M. EDT
Recipients Announced: Early September. View this year’s winners!
- Eligibility for Berkner Fellowships is limited to AGU members under the age of 35 who are citizens of countries designated by the World Bank as “low” or “lower-middle” income per capita.
- To see a full listing of Berkner eligible countries, please click here.
- Successfully-submitted abstract prior to filling out travel grant application. Your abstract reference number will be required on the application.
- First author presenting a paper/poster.
- AGU membership is required to submit the application. If you are not an AGU member and are from a qualifying Berkner country, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know that you would like to apply for Berkner AGU membership in order to submit an abstract for Fall Meeting.
- Applicants may not be already studying in the U.S.
- Students with sufficient resources to fund their food and local travel expenses while at the meeting. Students will be reimbursed after the meeting for these costs.
- Students whose abstracts show scientific merit to application reviewers in their Section/Focus Group.
- Applications must be complete to be considered and submitted before the deadline.
- Recipients must provide proof that they have applied for their travel visa and any transit visas by 16 September 2017 before they are able to accept the offer of the fellowship. Note: this may mean that you must be in your home country for the visa interview process.
Click the application button at the upper right of this webpage to start or edit your application.
Contact Grants@agu.org for customer service.