The AGU Fall Meeting General Student Travel Grant provides some funds to assist with travel costs. Awardees traveling from the U.S. and Canada will receive a $500 award, and awardees traveling from outside the U.S. and Canada will receive $1000 in funds. Funds are delivered after Fall Meeting and are not meant to reimburse specific travel costs (i.e. airfare, hotel, etc.), rather they are meant to help recoup costs of traveling to Fall Meeting.
Applications Open: 13 June 2018
Application Deadline: 8 August 2018
Recipients Announced: Early September
- Current student member of AGU
- Eligible: high school students, 2 and 4 year undergraduate students, graduate students
- Not Eligible: recent graduates and postdoctoral fellows
- Successfully-submitted abstract prior to filling out travel grant application. Abstract reference number will be required on the application
- First author presenting a paper or poster
Preference will be given to applicants from demographic groups who are underrepresented in the sciences. Applicants are initially rated for diversity and financial need. Applicants who pass the first round of selection based on those parameters are then reviewed on the following criteria:
- Students with sufficient additional funding resources to cover the remainder of the meeting registration and travel expenses.
- Students whose abstracts show strong scientific merit to application reviewers in their respective Sections/Focus Groups.
- Students who thoroughly answer the short essay questions.
- Applications must be complete and submitted before the deadline to be considered.
- If offered a travel grant, students are responsible for booking and organizing their own transportation and boarding.
- Grant recipients must physically check in at the Fall Meeting in order to provide proof of attendance. Funds will not be dispersed until attendance has been confirmed.
- Grant awards are $500 for attendees traveling from the U.S. and Canadian and $1,000 for all other international attendees.
- Applicant must pay his/her own meeting registration fee and all other travel costs.
Click the application button at the upper right of this webpage to start or edit your application.
Contact Grants@agu.org for customer service.