The Lloyd V. Berkner Travel Fellowship serves as a memorial to former AGU President Lloyd V. Berkner, who had a special interest in assisting and working with students and international colleagues.
This grant solicitation will provide Berkner Fellowships to fund early career scientists and students to present research at the 2017 JpGU-AGU Joint Meeting. The support includes registration fee, travel, accommodation, and daily expenses during the meeting.
Applications Open: 31 January 2017
Application Deadline: 1 March 2017 11:59 P.M. EST
Recipients Announced: Late March 2017
- Eligibility for Berkner Fellowships is limited to AGU members under the age of 35 who are citizens of countries designated by the World Bank as “low” or “lower-middle” income per capita.
- To see a full listing of Berkner eligible countries, please click here.
- Successfully-submitted abstract prior to filling out travel grant application. Your abstract reference number will be required on the application.
- First author presenting a paper/poster.
- AGU membership is required to submit the application. If you are not an AGU member and are from a qualifying Berkner country, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know that you would like to apply for Berkner AGU membership in order to submit an abstract for Fall Meeting.
- Applicants may not be already studying/residing in the U.S. or Japan.
- Students with sufficient resources to fund their food and local travel expenses while at the meeting. Students will be reimbursed after the meeting for these costs.
- Students whose abstracts show scientific merit.
- A maximum of three applicants will be awarded Berkner Travel Fellowships to attend the 2017 JpGU-AGU Joing Meeting.
- Applications must be complete to be considered and submitted before the deadline.
- Recipients must provide proof that they have applied for their travel visa and any transit visas by 16 April 2017 before they are able to accept the offer of the fellowship. Note: this may mean that you must be in your home country for the visa interview process.
Contact Grants@agu.org for customer service.