Applications Open: July 2018
Application Deadline: September 2018
Recipients Announced: October 2018
The Lloyd V. Berkner Travel Fellowship serves as a memorial to former AGU President Lloyd V. Berkner, who had a special interest in assisting and working with students and international colleagues. Today, the program provides support to Earth and space scientists in 88 countries including India, Morocco, and Nigeria. Berkner Fellowships provide funding for early career scientists and students to present research at AGU-sponsored or co-sponsored meetings. The support includes registration fee, travel, accommodation, and daily expenses during the meeting.
Eligibility for Berkner Fellowships is limited to AGU members under the age of 35 who are residents of countries designated by the World Bank as “low” or “lower-middle” income per capita. To see a full listing of Berkner eligible countries, please click here.
- Successfully-submitted abstract prior to filling out travel grant application. Your abstract reference number will be required on the application.
- First author presenting a paper/poster.
- AGU membership is required. To become an AGU member, contact AGU member services (email@example.com).
- Applicants may not be already studying in the U.S.
- Students with sufficient resources to fund their food and local travel expenses while at the meeting. Students will be reimbursed after the meeting for these costs.
- Students whose abstracts show scientific merit to application reviewers in applicable fields
- Applications must be complete to be considered and submitted before the deadline.
- Recipients must provide proof that they have applied for their travel visa and any transit visas in late-October before they are able to accept the offer of the fellowship. This may mean that you must be in your home country for the visa interview process.
Contact Grants@agu.org for customer service.